Skartsis, Stephania (2010)
Ph.D. thesis, University of Birmingham.
Chlemoutsi was the most important castle of the Principality established in the Peloponnese after the Fourth Crusade. The glazed pottery of the Frankish period (early 13th - early 15th c.) is almost exclusively Italian, reflecting the connections of the Principality of Achaea with Italy and illustrating the tastes of the Latin elite in ceramics. The pottery proves that the castle remained important after the end of the Frankish occupation and indicates its decline in the 18th c. The ceramic material of the Post-Byzantine period reflects the incorporation of the castle into the Ottoman Empire, the relations it developed with the rest of Greece, but, also, the continuation of its close connections with the West. Although a Turkish castle for most of the period between 1460 and the early 19th c., its imported pottery is mainly Italian, while the number of Islamic ceramics is small. The close political and economic relations with Italy developed after the Fourth Crusade, the Venetian interests in the Peloponnese, the constant Venetian occupation of the neighbouring Ionian Islands and the direct access to the Ionian Sea and Italy seem to have made the NW Peloponnese one of the most strongly Western-influenced areas of the Greek mainland.
|Type of Work:||Ph.D. thesis.|
|School/Faculty:||Colleges (2008 onwards) > College of Arts & Law|
|Department:||Institute of Archaeology and Antiquity|
|Subjects:||DE The Mediterranean Region. The Greco-Roman World|
D111 Medieval History
|Institution:||University of Birmingham|
Repository Staff Only: item control page